An interview with
Position & Affiliation: Retired publisher of academic books, with her husband Adrian Phillips (Aris and Phillips publishing house)
Date: April 28, 2018 in Oxford, United Kingdom
Interviewed by: Anna Sehnalova
Cite this archive
Oral History of Tibetan Studies. (2021, December 2). An interview with Lucinda Phillips. Retrieved 27 November 2022, from https://oralhistory.iats.info/interviews/lucinda-phillips/.
“An interview with Lucinda Phillips.” Oral History of Tibetan Studies, 2 Dec. 2021, https://oralhistory.iats.info/interviews/lucinda-phillips/.
Oral History of Tibetan Studies. 2021. An interview with Lucinda Phillips. [online], Available at: https://oralhistory.iats.info/interviews/lucinda-phillips/ [Accessed 27 November 2022]
Oral History of Tibetan Studies. “An interview with Lucinda Phillips.” 2021, December 2. https://oralhistory.iats.info/interviews/lucinda-phillips/.
- 0:00 Intro
- 0:42 I would like to ask you about your growing up and childhood
- 4:13 What kind of school did your father go to?
- 6:37 Which education had your mother?
- 10:50 Could you say more about the birth of your brothers Michael and Anthony Aris?
- 11:58 School and years abroad
- 22:32 Which languages did you speak at home?
- 20:58 Would you remember what was the atmosphere at this meeting?
- 22:01 How did it continue?
- 29:22 Which hobbies did the brothers have?
- 31:02 Which other memories did they have about their schools?
- 33:36 How old was Michael when his interest in Tibet started?
- 37:06 They went around to different schools or institutes?
- 41:22 How did Michael learn Tibetan?
- 43:40 What kinds of books did you like?
- 45:24 How was it growing up with the twins?
- 49:51 How did Michael meet Hugh Richardson?
- 50:23 Anthony’s interest in antiquities and art
- 51:42 How did you meet your husband Adrian Phillips?
- 58:05 How did you get engaged?
- 1:00:30 Publishing endeavours
- 1:04:19 Marriage of Michael Aris and Aung Suu Kyi
- 1:08:49 How did you remember working on “Tibetan Studies in Honor of Hugh Richardson”?
- 1:10:55 Would you have memories of working with the authors?
- 1:13:51 What exactly did you do? What was the division of roles?
- 1:18:47 Did you know Aung San Suu Kyi while she was at Oxford?
- 1:23:08 At what time did Michael get the idea of establishing Tibetan studies in Oxford?
- 1:26:21 Could you describe your brothers, their personalities? How were they related to each other?
- 1:32:06 Would you know about the origin of the Aris family name?
- 1:35:56 Were you part of the rising interest in Buddhism in England in the 1960s and 70s?
- 1:38:15 If you were to sum up your brothers’ career and interest in the Orient them, in their lives, what would it be?
- 1:40:22 What else would you remember from the Nobel prize ceremony?
- 1:47:26 Could you tell me about what you remember about Michael’s visit to the Czech Republic and his meetings with Václav Havel?